This was a really easy weeknight meal by Robin Miller, and super delicious. I love a piccata. There’s something about the really simple but pungent flavors — lemon, capers, the great, toasty, salty crust you get on well browned meat. It hits all the notes on your palate. This chicken piccata incorporates artichokes as well, which is a great addition. Then just throw it on top of some rice or pasta and you’ve got a meal. The sauce cooks down into a nice, rich yet tart and salty accompaniment that is great when it soaks into the rice.
- You can use any type of rice for this — white, brown, one of the different flavors you can get in a box. The one I used had some almonds in it which added a nice crunch and layer of flavor.
- Serve with a roasted green vegetable of your choice.
- I prefer to use several layers of plastic wrap instead of plastic bags when you’re pounding the chicken. I’m just afraid the bag will pop open and get chicken juice everywhere. Ick.
- I skipped the lima beans in the rice.
Chicken Piccata with Lemon, Capers and Artichoke Hearts
- 4 (4-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- 1 cup quick-cooking brown rice
- 1/2 cup frozen lima beans
Place chicken in zip-top bags and pound with a meat mallet or rolling pin until 1/4-inch thick. Remove chicken from bag and season all over with salt and black pepper. In a shallow dish (or plastic bag), combine flour, lemon zest, paprika, and garlic powder. Mix well. Add chicken and turn to coat. Remove chicken from flour mixture and shake off excess flour.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute 2 minutes per side, until golden brown and cooked through. Add lemon juice, wine and chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer 5 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and sauce thickens. Add artichoke hearts and capers and simmer 1 minute to heat through.
Cook rice according to package directions, adding lima beans at the beginning of cooking process. Serve chicken and sauce with rice.