I have to confess — I got a little lazy on this one. Not only did I not realize I needed to marinate the chicken (I had to pull a quickie marinade together so I don’t think I got the full effect of the flavors that were possible here), but I just didn’t have the energy to roast the red peppers or fry said roasted red peppers for the crunchy topping. (Although I do think it would be good.) Sometimes a recipe is just too much, ya know?
However, I’ve got to say that Guy Fieri’s Red Rocker Margarita Chicken Sandwich was still pretty tasty. The chicken was nice and spicy, thanks in part to the fact that I added sliced jalapeno peppers to the skillet when I cooked the chicken, and I threw some of those on top of the chicken on the sandwich. That was some serious heat. And you really can’t go wrong with a sandwich.
The cabbage slaw gave the sandwich a nice, fresh crunch, and with the cheese on top, it was nice and melty and a great combination of textures.
- Allow time to marinate the chicken. Duh.
- Find something good to make with the leftover cabbage — you’ll still have a lot left!
- If you get lazy like me, use jarred roasted red peppers, although I think roasting your own will make them hold together a bit better when you’re frying them.
- Use any kind of cheese you like — I prefer sharper/more pungent cheeses than provolone so I used cheddar.
- Pair this with a cooling salad or maybe even cucumbers with vinegar and dill for a nice acidic accompaniment.
Red Rocker Margarita Chicken Sandwich
- 2 jalapenos, thinly sliced rounds
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 tablespoons tequila
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted, skinned, seeded, julienne
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 cups canola oil
- 4 Kaiser rolls
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
In a medium mixing bowl add jalapenos, cilantro, tequila, garlic, red chili flakes, cumin, oregano, lime juice, and 1 teaspoon salt. Add the chicken breasts and red bell peppers to resealable gallon bag and pour in marinade. Let marinate in refrigerator for 4 to 8 hours.
Heat grill to high. Remove chicken from marinade, and add chicken to the grill.
In a small mixing bowl add flour, remaining 1 teaspoon salt and the granulated garlic.
Heat the canola oil to 350 degrees F.
Remove bell peppers from marinade and dredge in flour and fry until crispy. When done drain on paper towels.
Cook chicken thoroughly on both sides, remove from heat and cover. Let sit for 5 minutes. Thinly slice or shred.
Lightly toast rolls. Spread mayonnaise evenly among the rolls and then stack evenly with the cabbage, onion, chicken breast, fried peppers, and top with cheese.