If you want a nice, simple dinner with super fresh flavors, this one’s got it. From Tyler Florence: Lemon Curry Chicken with Mango-Basmati Rice Salad. The chicken is easy — just marinated with curry and lemon and simply roasted so the skin crisps up and the meat stays nice and juicy.
And this rice — wow. It’s got such great flavors going with the just-crisp-enough green beans, sweet, ripe mango, crunchy cashews and fresh mint, topped with a splash of olive oil, lemon juice and fresh cracked pepper — amazing.
- I had a bunch of chicken thighs on hand so I used just thighs instead of a whole chicken. It worked great!
- The fresh mint here makes a huge difference. Don’t skip it.
- I cut back on the red onion — I used about half of what was called for, and it was plenty.
- I used jasmine rice — and it was delish.
- And I skipped the “spread the rice out to let it cool” part. I just mixed everything together. Bam.
Lemon Curry Chicken with Mango-Basmati Rice Salad
- 1 (3½ to 4 lb.) chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 Tbs. curry powder
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbs. toasted sesame oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and smashed with the flat side of a large knife
- Kosher salt
- ½ lb. tender green beans, trimmed
- ½ small red onion
- ¼ cup cashews
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 fresh mango, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400°F. Stir together the yogurt, curry powder, lemon zest and juice, sesame oil, and salt and pepper is a big bowl. Add the chicken and toss gently to coat with the yogurt marinade. Put the chicken on a baking sheet and roast, using the remaining marinade to baste twice as it cooks, until chicken is tender and cooked through, about 45 minutes total.
While the chicken cooks, make the rice salad.
Put the rice in a saucepan with the ginger, 2 cups of water, and 1 ½ tsp. salt and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Give the rice a stir, turn the heat down to low, cover, and cook for 12 minutes without lifting the lid. Spread the cooked rice out on a baking sheet and let it cool to room temperature. Discard the ginger.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the beans. Fill a large bowl with ice water and add enough salt to make it taste lightly salted. Add the beans to the boiling water and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes. Drain, then refresh in the ice water bath to keep the bright green color, and drain well again. Cut the beans in half crosswise on the diagonal.
Put the onion half, cashews and mint on a cutting board and coarsely chop them all up. Combine the rice and green beans in a big bowl and add the chopped onion mixture. Add the chopped mango, olive oil and lemon juice and toss gently. Taste for seasoning.
Mound the rice salad on a platter. Arrange the chicken on top.
Delicious, this sounds wonderful. I love mango in dishes like this.
It’s great — love the sweet/savory!
The rice salad sounds especially good. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Thanks, Karen! 🙂
Hey Trish, anyway you can get a Pinterest shortcut button added to your SHARE links?! 🙂
It would help me keep more organized. Maybe. 😉
That’s a really good question. Let me check! There is also a plug in for your browser, which is what I use: http://pinterest.com/about/goodies/
I figured it out! Great idea, thanks Jenn!
Pingback: Mustard-Roasted Fish, Orange Pecan Wild Rice and Roasted Carrots | Taste by Taste